Monday, April 21, 2014

It is 5:00am and you still haven't packed - Welcome to my world.

We all know that the worst part about going on holiday is having to pack. It is not only time consuming, terrifying and soul crushing I'm pretty sure it's one of Dantes' circles of hell.

Do I need sunglasses?
Will it rain? Should I bring the jacket?
Did I pack my toothbrush? Where the hell is it?
I hope it's not over 10 kilos!
How the hell is there a Walrus in here?!

I pretty sure we all identify with these.
So here are some fool proof ways of making sure that you have everything you need before venturing off on the trip of your life. 

1) Passport - You think this would be an obvious one. But, unfortunately there have been a few times I have left the house not knowing where it is. (90% of the time actually) Keep it in the same place every time! Trust me it will save you a lot of "OMG OMG OMG" crazy panic dances on your stairs before sunrise.

2) Money - Again, another obvious one. Never change your money at airports no matter how convenient it may appear. They will take your money faster than Kanye Wests' Goldigger! (I'm referencing the song, not Kim K.. because there is a huge difference..) It's best to change some before you leave, and then search for a reliable place over to change the rest. So at least in the unfortunate case you were to robbed at least you won't have lost too much!

3) Phone - Super useful for sending your friends envious whatsapp messages telling them how fantastic a time you are having/letting your parents know that yes you are still alive, and no Mom you haven't started drinking yet. Apart from these reason, phones are a great idea because of a wonderful interface you may know of. Google. Google makes everything so much easier. Read reviews of restaurants, use Google maps in case you get lost, and every language students best friend, Google translate.

4) All your documentation - Boarding passes, flight number, hotel/hostel numbers. You need these. No getting around it. Especially the boarding passes depending on the air line that you are flying with. I'm not going to lie, certain air lines are a bit of a pain in the nether-regions with regard of having to have your passes with you. (I would print multiple copies if possible, and keep them in different places. But, then again I get lost in my own house)

5) A good attitude- Okay, traveling in general sucks.(The actual getting there). Don't be a d*ck. Airports, train stations, bus stations, hover craft platforms are stressful. Nobody wants to be there, nobody wants to wait, and everyone is anxious. So, relax, smile, you will get there. And you will love it when you are there. Unless of course you go to Africa and end up with some sort of weird strain of malaria which makes you cry crickets out of your eyeballs or something. #badbuzz

6) House keys - I generally bring them with me because I don't know if my housemates are going to be there. But, if at all possible. Leave them with a person you trust (not someone who is going to spray paint turtles on your walls when you leave. Or go all Walter White and turn it into a meth lab. Unless they are willing to share the profits!) If you need to bring them, choose a safe place in your backpack. Not your pockets!

7) Camera - 'Cause we all do the same damn thing we do in class. Instead of taking notes we tell ourselves, "I'll remember it". This doesn't cut it. TAKE. LOADS. OF. PHOTOS. You will be delighted that you have them later, and they are perfect for printing and shoving them in your friends/families/weird next door neighbours face to fully describe how amazing it was*. (* up to a period of three months, after this you just look like a pretentious, annoying, self-centered mollusk).

I generally view these as the essentials. If I have these leaving the house, then I'm on the right track. Some other things you may decide to bring with you, which may be important, are here:

- Clothes - extra points if you actually check the weather in the country of your choice. (I never do).
Socks/Shoes/T-Shirts/Pants/Underwear/Shorts/Rain Jacket/Swim Suit/Lady Gaga style meat dress.
- Suncream - Rain, snow, hail or shine. Protect your face. Or it may start to look like a sofa I saw on the internet... Or was that Mick Jagger?
- Toiletries - Toothpaste, toothbrushes and deodorant are not only crucial but will also be a definer on whether people will want to talk to you or not. You may have a stellar personality, but you smell like a college dorm.
- Stuff to keep you occupied - Books, magazines, mp3 player, ear plugs. I don't really care what it is, as long as it keeps you from wanting to commit genocide on the plane I am all for it!
- Adapters - Okay, so here in Ireland we are still beta testing Europe. Which means that we have different plugs to everyone else. So don't forget to bring an adapter! Otherwise kiss goodbye to all electrical devices!
- First aid kit - Antiseptic cream, bandages, blister pads, collapsible statue of Zeus. Whatever you think will get you out of a sticky situation, bring it!

I shall update as I think of it! :)

Ciao! x 

No comments:

Post a Comment