Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Jailbreak 14 - Part One - Germany.

This year I was so lucky to be able to participate in an Irish charity event called Jailbreak 14. Basically, we had to raise money for charities like Saint Vincent De Paul, Amnesty International and NUI Galways' own fantastic charity called Draoicht. Oh, I forgot to mention the teeny weeny part where we had to leave the country in teams of two and get as far away from Ireland as we could without spending any of our own money. * runs for a paper bag -deep breath*

Yeah, so that happened!

I went with my divinely patient, (and gorgeous), friend Alessandra! (Who I am surprised did not slit my throat with a spoon during the journey because I annoyed the crap out of her!)

(Both our faces can actually be located here along with an interview we gave for the Irish Independent on the jailbreak extravaganza http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/its-back-irish-jailbreakers-get-ready-to-beg-borrow-and-blag-for-charity-travel-stunt-30030697.html)


D-Day came and we were to meet all the other teams from the 4 different Irish Universities. We met outside Kilmainham Gaol in Dublin (Jailbreak - gettit? ) And were terrified because everyone seemed to have flights booked or plans and we didn't have anything sorted. So, harnessing the power of Micheal D. himself we plucked up the courage to buy the cheapest tickets we could, one way flights to Munich, Germany, while standing in the queue to register! To say I was nervous would be an understatement because that was literally the only plan that we had, and there was no return. But that was the least of my worries. Getting stranded in Europe, grand. Not knowing any German at all, grand. Having the organizational skills of a mollusk, grand. But it was Saturday, and I had an assignment due the next Tuesday. And I didn't know when I would be getting a flight home. Crap.



Anyway, inside the jail we made friends with a wonderful team from UCD (the beautiful Mac and Sophia) who also speak Italian so with our combined potenza (power) We ventured on forth to the airport! (We also hung around the airport until 4pm giving out free hugs and meeting famous people. Namely some dude name Gaz from Geordie Shore or something, I dunno! Then we met some more teams and went for pints. Sure what else would you be doing?!)

Eventually we arrived in Munich (which I think 12 other teams went to because it was the cheapest flight out of) and to our surprise we made a small Irish colony over in the airport! Which was lovely! I learned a few things about myself being stuck in that airport.
1) I am actually much more brave than I previously thought I was.
2) I have literally fudge all German to my name. - I thought Munchen meant exit, it is actually the German for Munich-
3) I fudging love making pointless lists.

Anyhoo - I forgot t

No comments:

Post a Comment